Facebook.. NO MORE

I've been debating it for sometime but I finally decided to do it. I was wondering if I could do it or if I would do it and tonight I took the jump and deactivated my Facebook account.

It was a long time coming but I think the time is right for me to just take some time away from this social media website. Not only does it consume many hours of my life and is involved in many facets of my life, but it has been the source of a lot of my anger lately.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a very happy person. I am what my friends call a person who always sees the good in others and the one who wants to be the keeper of the peace, but lately with Facebook I have found that, that peace was not within my own reach. The longer I stayed on Facebook, and read people's posts and read the comments about people's posts the angrier I become.

I know that this world isn't a happy place, and humans aren't all nice people who look out for one another despite race, or nationality or ethnic background or sexual orientation. I know this, but I was hoping that people ( mainly my friends or people I associate with) would have a heart and understand that we are a society that is changing and evolving and we need to be more tolerant of other people.



In an ideal world this would be easy, this would be something that would be considered common knowledge to many, but as I am growing and evolving I am realizing that common sense or rather common knowledge is a tree that doesn't grow in everyone's garden. I have been seeing posts and likes and other things from others that have made me so angry that I have even thought of hateful things happening to them. I have even thought of hateful and vengeful things happening to their children and that is NOT like me.

Let me not make it seem that I am the most peaceful person in the world. I am not Ghandi (though we share a birthday) not by any means but I do believe in living in a peaceful place and having my soul at peace as well, and with Facebook as my leading source of entertainment it wasn't happening. It seemed like every time I logged on the first things that popped up on my feed were things about Black people this, black people that, gays this, gays that, Donald Trump this, Hillary Clinton that, Obama this, Obama that.. HATE, HATE, HATE AND MORE HATE!!!! 

I know,  I know I could block from seeing those things on my feed but should I have to? I mean should I really have to do such things to not see the hate and lack of empathy people have for others. I thought the best thing for me to do was to just give myself a break from it and deactivate it.

My hubby asked me if I was going to deactivate my Instagram as well,and I told him that I was thinking about it. I do not use IG (Instagram) as much as I do Facebook,but its a thought.

Then I got to thinking, how about I just deactivate all my social media websites. How much of my life do these sites use up on a daily basis? How much time do I lose or rather waste on them when I could be doing something productive, like writing this here blog post?

Giving it up right now or taking a break, whatever you want to call it has come at the right time. Tomorrow is the first day of Lent and with this new season of renewal I think I need to renew my spirit and my health and do things that are going to promote my happiness and well being.

Its like one of my girlfriends said to me when I told her I was deactivating my account. She said that I needed to "Nourish the parts of you that grows you and brings you joy" and that is exactly what I plan on doing.  So Facebook... NO MORE!!!


No comments