Bonafide PROCRASTINATOR

Well look at that. Day 2 of writing on this blog, looks like I'm really going to take this seriously this time.  (Crossing fingers) Well that's the hope.

To get myself back into blogging I decided to join Blogher NaBloPoMo for the month of January. The premise of this is to write everyday for the month of January. Each day has some prompts to help if you're stuck trying to find the right words to write. I am excited about this. I believe that this will help me find my groove again.

The topic of this month is pressure. This is something that I am very familiar with. With my job I am constantly under pressure to make sure that things are done well, and done in a specific amount of time. I am not only responsible for myself but I am also responsible for about 150 other people. But that's something else that I will get into another day. Friday's topic was about procrastination, and THIS is definitely something that I struggle with. When I was in school I would always leave everything till the last minute to get it done. I felt that I would work well under pressure. While this did pay off with good grades on papers, and studying for some exams it also left me sleepless. I would spend hours upon hours the day or night before doing what was assigned to me weeks before.

Fast Forward 10+ years and here I am still procrastinating. I just don't know what it is about doing things at the last minute that grabs me. I just can't seem to shake the "wait till the last minute" thing to get things done. I have even waited till the final second to get something handed in. Now don't get me wrong, this is not something I am proud of. Actually I usually get mad at myself for waiting till the last minute to finish something, but it doesn't deter me from letting it happen again. My mother would say that I am shameless about this, but eh. I wonder what causes procrastination?

Yeah that's about right.Especially the first one. I am often lazy to get things done. I will give myself several hundred reasons why I can do something later instead of getting to it right at the moment its supposed to be done.

For example, right now I am supposed to be looking over some papers to hand back tomorrow. I have about 30-40. This wouldn't take me more than about an hour, but here I am typing on this here blog because I said that I would make a conscious effort to be more productive about my blog this year.
Anything to get away from the task that I am supposed to be doing. But best believe that tonight before I go to bed I will get it done. While I'm watching some meaningless TV or looking through some video's on YouTube I will do what I have to do because I know it needs to get done.

My boyfriend has asked me a million times why I do wait till the end to do these things, and I have not been able to give him a significant answer. But in an effort to make some positive changes for 2014 I promise myself to no longer procrastinate. I am going to need help y'all. I am really going to need reminders and calendars and alarms and all that other stuff that technology has made available to me to get things done in a timely fashion.

As of tomorrow I will no longer procrastinate!




4 comments

Debra Mauldin said...

Congratulations on posting two days in a row.

Patricia said...

I am a pro-crastinator...no amatuer am I. Love the cartoon!

Riley J.J said...

Debra, thanks. I really appreciate the encouragement. I am really trying to keep up with this. Thanks for stopping by

Riley J.J said...

Patricia, I believe that the older we get the harder it gets to stop. I'm really working on this, this year. I don't know how I am going to get it done, but I'm definitely going to try.