Black History Month

Its that time of year again, yes the time when all schools in the U.S. take the time out to give the African Americans some sort of recognition! As an educator I am not happy that African American history isn't part of plain old American history. I never quite understood why when we were learning about Abraham Lincoln, and George Washington they never threw in George Washington Carver, or Fredrick Douglas? Now that I am not sitting behind a desk learning, but instead standing in front of the ones in the desks trying to learn I insist on trying to change this one month of African American history by telling my students of the great African American entrepreneurs, doctors, educators, writers, poets, leaders that have paved the way for them. all year round. But, since it is the month of Februry, the one month designated to us I will take part in the celebration. I have told my students about those who were held captive and beaten because of the color of their skin. I have spoken to them about the trailblazers that were persecuted because of their differences or because they spoke up about the inequality. I try to instill in students morals and pride in who they are and what they are to become because they are able to obtain their education not only because its free but because it was fought for.

As the month is highlighted as "Black History Month" I want to take the time to acknowledge my leaders, my mentors, those who I look up to, plainly I want to take the time out to say acknowledge those who have made me who I am today.

Let us join in with the rest of these here United States and take a moment during this month to say THANK YOU to all those who have done something for us, and who are doing something for us!

I will start today with:

Dr. Maya Angelou!







Dr. Angelou is one of my favorite poets, and writers. As an english major and a lover of literature her works are some of my favorite. From her book " I know why the caged bird Sings" to her poems " Phenomenal Woman," and "Still I Rise" Dr Angelou has contributed immensly to the upliftment of the Black people. She has done so much for the African American woman that I cannot NOT give her my first spotlight.. Dr. Angelou spoke and organized with Malcolm X, started and organization with Dr. King, danced with Alvin Alley, her friend was James Baldwin. She spoke on Alex Haley's "The Roots." She read her poem in one my favorite movies " Poetic Justice." Dr. Angelou is definitely one of my favorite trailblazers!


As we celebrate Black History Month let us take pride in knowing that it is with the strength and diligence of ppl like her that we are able to be free!

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
by Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing of my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can't see.
I say
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
The palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments