Our destiny


If you haven't had the chance to pick up this month's Essence Magazine, I think you should. Outside of having sexy Reggie Bush on the cover (drooling... Lucky a$$ed Kim Kardashian) of the mag, there are some pretty interesting articles in there. One in particular struck a cord with me.

"God's Plan for you Life," by Bishop T.D. Jakes. In this article Jakes talks about the small intricate messages sent from God to tell you what your life's purpose is. He mentions that even as a young boy he knew that he had a calling, he knew that his ability to pray would lead him towards something greater, and that this was a message from God.

Jakes says that there are little clues and instances that let you see where you're supposed to be in life. Little voices (as he puts it) that let you know where you're going and where you need to be. Ever have that little voice tell you something and you completely ignore it. (Insert shaken head yes... right here)

I do believe that we have voices that tell us where we are to go in life. NO, these voices that are speaking to you aren't the ones that make you crazy, but you know that little voice inside your head that tells you that what you're doing is making a difference. I know I had this little voice and for a long time I tried to ignore it and put it off as me going crazy, or possibly fear because we weren't in a good economic position. This voice spoke to me last year (it was a lot louder than before) when I decided to apply for the New York City Teaching Fellowship. Something said to me, this is where I was supposed to be. This voice said that despite the hardships that might be placed in my way, I would make it and I would do it with the help of God and not to fear.

Everyone knows that NYC teachers aren't paid for the amount of stuff that we do, and sometimes we aren't acknowledged and some are deterred from the amount of work that being a teacher entails but you know what... I love what I do and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you're unhappy about something that you do for a living then it means that this wasn't the place for you to be. If you find that going to work isn't as fulfilling as its suppose to be reevaluate your life's path. What does that little voice inside your head or rather your heart say? You know you hear it, stop brushing it off to the side, stop ignoring it.. its speaking to you and you're not listening. Though the economy is bad, and you may need that paycheck does your job satisfy you? Do you feel like you've done something for the betterment of yourself when you punch out at the end of the day? If you answered NO to any, most, or all of these questions then this article is about you! Go and get this magazine. Your dislike for you job maybe for a reason... Trust your instinct (words from Bishop Jakes) God is pointing you in the right direction.. and if that direction isn't where you are now trust that you will be shown different ways to get to where you're supposed to be.

To quote Jakes " Do that good thing that comes naturally to you. Choose it over other people's approval or the pursuit of a fatter paycheck."

You will love yourself and love what you do if you do that. I know I do, and I did and now I'm at peace.

2 comments

Tiffany Nicole said...

(Still nodding my head in agreement) The joy of following your true desire and passion is wonderful even in the bad days! I didn't choose teaching it choose me! My original major was sports medicine! LOL I'm laughing just thinking about it!! But He got me right back on the path!!

Such a good share! I got the mag in the mail and stopped at ultra FINE brothers. Gotta go home and finish the read!

PrinkGold said...

hi http://prinkgold.blogspot.com/