My bakers dozen....


For the longest time I've been on this lose weight issue. Its been an up and down battle for me to be consistant with it, but yesterday my younger cousin and I decided to wake up and take our lazy butts to the gym. The night before we went out and partied at this local club that a friend of ours rented for the night. Needless to say that I had a few to drink, but it was there that I put it to mind that I am going to do something about this weight that I continue to put on since I was about 14 years old.
I saw a friend of mine that I hadn't seen in a while at the venue and she looked really good. I mean really really good. She was telling me that she just became so determined with working out and eating right and she kept to it and she lost the weight. I began to wonder if I can actually stay with this whole regimen without quitting? I have a habit of working out like a mad woman when I know I have a vacation coming up. I'll be in the gym for months on end working out till I catch cramps and pull tendons and what not just to look right in a bathing suite, but as soon as the vacation is over I just sit back down in front of the T.V. and gain back the weight that I fought hard to take off. I have gotten so comfortable being this size (16 to be exact) that I just gave up, but I still continually sulk and wonder how come I can't lose weight.
Before getting the sedentary job that I have now I was active and was a nice size 12. It was one of the happiest moments of my life, I loved to shop and knowing that I could go into any store, other than Lane Bryant, Ashley Stewart, or the Avenue (stores which I love by the way) I reveled in the fact that I could wear the clothes that my cousins wore and that I could borrow their jeans and stuff. That didn't last long though, my new job required me to sit on my butt for 8 hours of the day after I ate food. Then here came the weight. Ok, it sounds like I'm putting the blame on the job (which I probably am) but its what happened to help me add back on the weight.
So, after seeing my friend Friday night I came to this conclusion, I'm going to actually get up and do this weight loss thing. I am not going to complain about it anymore. I don't want to lose a ridiculous amount of weight, cause I like my curvatures (thanks Miss-Stress for the new word) but I would definitely like to have a smaller mid-section. That is where all the weight seems to go, so the next morning, or rather afternoon, my cousin and I made the trip to the gym.
Now, normally I dread going to the gym nearest to my house, because a lot of the women go there to show off, and not really work out and as for the guys that is where they try out their newest lines, and I don't want to keep idle chatter while I'm sweating like a pig. I just want to walk in get on the treadmill, so the elliptical and work on my mid-section and be out without having to endure the "Hey Ma, do you come here often" talk. Luckily it was quite empty. I was happy, other than the occasional gawks we worked out for about 1hr 30 minutes and left. I felt good, and stinky at the same time.
I think that instead of making it a new year resolution I am going to keep to it and try to make it a life altering decision. Now to get the procrastination and shyness out the way (yes, I'm shy) then I'll be a great individual all around. Wish me luck.. I'll keep you posted

1 comment

Opinionated Diva said...

Kudos to you for getting to the point where you know enough is enough.

I usually go to the gym at lunch time. I've been going for a while and even though I still HATE it with a passion, I love the sense of accomplishment when I'm done.

Good luck!